Some parallels between the Internet, 1995 and Blockchain, 2017:
- Geeks are excited about contributing to and playing with the architecture of a globally distributed, interconnected communications system.
- Pundits are saying this technology will change EVERYTHING!!!
- Investors throw money at any project/idea that mentions this technology, inflating their value on real markets.
- Those industries most likely to be affected by the technology downplay the potential impact as nothing more than a passing fad.
- Pundits are saying this technology is not that big a deal!!!
- The key application resulting in widespread public adoption is not ubiquitous – yet.
- The key hardware developments that will make this a backbone of society are not there – yet.
- It is still too early for many of the inevitable, world-changing applications to bring real value.